By getting involved with people who want to discuss common concerns or local issues, we can make a difference to where we live. One way of achieving this is by working together with other people in the neighbourhood via a Community Group. Our Community Group mission is:
To develop and maintain an all-inclusive, healthy and vibrant community through involvement with residents who want to make a positive difference to where they live.
The aims of the Community Group can be found HERE and the group is recognised by key local stakeholders including Parish Councils, the City Council and Essex County Council.
Some of our achievements and activities over the last 2 years include:
- Installation of a Community Defibrillator;
- Successful lobbying for the bridleway to be surfaced and installation of the crossing at the bottom of it brought forward due to safety concerns;
- Development of Neighbourhood Watch;
- Development of Community Gardens for all to be involved with and enjoy;
- Social events & activities
- Community litter picking;
- Groups set up for runners & riders;
- An Essex Lottery ‘good cause’.
We are working on or are involved with the following key projects:
- Platinum Jubilee Beacons Project (see update below!);
- Channels Public Art Project;
- Community Growing Points.
Every resident is considered to be part of the Community Group however we need a working management committee to coordinate and help shape our community both now and for the future.
We currently have a small number of highly committed people supporting and representing Channels residents however it would be fantastic to have a few more committee members, especially from the Croudace & Pompadour localities, to ensure we can take forward some of the great ideas and projects which will benefit everyone in the coming year.
The Jubilee Beacon project (see below) is a good example of where some management & oversight is required and why we need volunteers to be involved in making it all happen.
We have received confirmation from five local organisations of funding to cover the capital cost of a permanent landmark Platinum Jubilee Beacon in Channels Park and we plan to hold a special event for the entire community to celebrate The Queen’s historic reign.
On Thursday 2nd June 2022, Beacons will be lit throughout the United Kingdom, Channel Islands, Isle of Man and UK Overseas Territories and if all goes well, ours will be one of them!
If you want to be involved in helping to develop the Channels community, please do express your interest by completing this website form.